Your sick baby at home is the reason for you to develop lot of worries and emotions. You perhaps, feel sympathetic, worried, frustrated and helpless at times when you find your baby suffering.
If you or your kids are suffering badly from problems like chapped dry itchy lips, sinuses, congestion or coughing you will probably get the benefits by installing a good branded humidifier.
In addition to providing great health benefits, using room humidifier have many more advantages.
As dry air affects the wood floors, paints, wall papers, etc. installing a good humidifier in your living room not only helps your baby breathe better but also helps keep the air inside the home at a comfortable level for many other things.
Humidifier also helps your pets in your home by giving them a proper environment to relax.
Well, when we are actually concerned about humidifiers for babies, it generally comes in two types, the Warm Mist and the Cool Mist.
These are designed to work in different ways but aimed at the same objective to provide maximum comfort to the babies and newborns.
While deciding on which one to choose, you will be left with many questions to be answered.
But one thing which can be surely said is, cool mist humidifiers are generally compatible for cool climates and are most appropriate for all.
What You will Read Here?
Warm Vs Cool Mist Humidifier: Which Is Best for Baby?
When it comes to choosing between vaporizer vs humidifier for baby, there are few essential things you need to check for.
In fact if you know about the working of each, you can actually differentiate between these two devices better and make a wise decision in choosing the one for your baby room.
How Does Warm Mist Humidifiers Work?
Warm mist humidifiers or vaporizers evidently boils the water to 100 degrees Celsius in the built in water tank.
The distilled steam which is produced due to evaporation is released as a water vapor into the room, thus making your room humid in dry conditions.
This steam is in the form of mild spray of warm water and this is concentrated in the area near to your bedroom humidifier machine.
This warm mist makes the breathing easier in a cool room and can help avoid various health issues, especially for babies and elders.
Warm mist humidifiers are used for steaming medications as well and are usually manufactured with a small medicine chamber.
Some of these also comes with a option to diffuse essential oils which can be mixed with the water while boiling. This produces an aromatic steam which is good for body and skin.
Pros and Cons of Warm Mist Humidifier
Advantages of warm mist humidifier that makes it a great buying option for baby room are:
- Can be a good option for treating flu and cold for many
- Excellent option to select during winter and in cooler climates
- Cleaner mist when compared with cool mist humidifiers
- Kills bacteria and virus when boiling water in the tank
- Works with less noise when compared to cool mist humidifier units
- Some of these comes with medicine cup to distribute respiratory inhalants, medicines and essential oils.
Disadvantages of using warm mist humidifier are:
- Frequent cleaning required as minerals are deposited behind, by boiling water
- Covers comparatively smaller areas than cool mist humidifier
- Produces a bit muggy feel in the room
- Consumes extra energy for heating and boiling the water
- Hot steam can become dangerous and hence children and pets should keep distance
How Does Cool Mist Humidifiers Work?
When it comes cool mist humidifiers, these are bit different from the warm misting devices. The working principle of cool mist humidifier is very different and unique.
These types of humidifiers basically consists of parts like a reservoir tank, a cotton wick and a blower fan.
The wick which is present inside the device absorbs water from the reservoir tank to its surface through the capillary action and evaporation process occurs in the surface of the wick.
This wick is then blown with the blower fan to increase the speed of the vaporization process.
As the water gets evaporated, it goes onto the room’s atmosphere and this increases the moisture level of your room.
Cool mist humidifier is self controlling device. As the moisture level is getting increased, the absorption of water from the reservoir tank and the evaporation of water from the wick surface get reduced.
This helps to maintain the moisture level without any manual work needed, for controlling the working of the humidifier.
Pros and Cons of Cool Mist Humidifier
Few advantages which makes cool mist humidifier a must have device for all homes are:
- Makes the room environment comfortable, more humid and warmer
- Helps in relieving allergy symptoms such as sinus, snoring, cold and flu
- Prevents dry skin problems like chapped lips
- Prevents in spreading airborne viruses
- Prevents static electricity problems
- Avoids damage to wood and plants
Disadvantages of using cool mist humidifier are not many. The only one which I can figure out is:
- These types of ultrasonic humidifiers requires regular cleaning and maintenance due to the lime and other minerals which gets deposited in the tank and filters.
- In case you have lots of minerals in your water supply, you can also see “white powder” sprayed by your humidifier which sometimes get deposited (may seem like dust) to your furniture and indoor plants.
- Frankly speaking, the above condition can be easily controlled if you use distilled water in your humidifier device. Also care that you use a good water filter in your unit which is replaced every 2-3 months for smooth functioning of the unit without any problems.
Which One Is The Right Fit for Your Baby?
As seen above, each of these types of humidifiers comes with unique varied features. Both of these have their own pros and cons.
It is quite natural that the advantages of warm humidifier turn to be disadvantages of cool humidifiers.
Overall, it is completely up to the preference of the people that make the choice of humidifier so that it is best suited for their purpose. Making a wise decision is all the matters!
Warm mist humidifiers are considered hygienically safer (as they expel out the preheated water which is free from bacteria and virus).
Contrary to these, cool misting devices are much more energy efficient (as they do not need to boil the water) and can save on your energy bills.
However one need to use filtered water while using these devices so that that air does not gets affected with bacteria.
What About Babies in Home?
Since a warm mist humidifier includes a hot water tank as well as a heating rod, it has an additional safety risk. This makes many to show a dislike for the warm mist humidifiers, when it comes to baby humidifiers.
Most people therefore consider a cool mist humidifier and they find it safer to use when there are infants present.
However, if an extra care is taken to reduce the risk factor, either humidifier can be used safely.
Overall, choose the type of humidifier which can meet the requirement of the occupants in the enclosure of your home.
Do not forget to research well on the type of humidifier you need and the type you finally buy for your family.
If you want you can invest bit more and buy a device which offers benefits of both i.e. cool and warm mist humidifier. These cost bit extra and comes with many different features as well as benefits.
*In case, you are still confused about which humidifier type should you buy for your baby, ask your doctor about which humidifier is ideal for your kid and then make final purchase.