A humidifier is an appliance which is used to increase the humidity level in a room or in an entire building depending on the need of the user.
The portable humidifiers are aimed to serve the purpose in a home for a particular room. These are generally compact in size which can be placed in any room as per your need and desire.
Whereas the whole house humidifiers or furnace humidifiers are generally used to do the same thing but for a whole building or space. These sorts of humidifiers are generally connected with the HVAC system of the house to circulate the humidity evenly amongst the rooms. To provide best comfort, hospitals, offices and even industries often use these kind of devices for humidifying the whole area.
Now if you are planning to buy a good humidifier and are confused about which one will serve you the best, below we will help you out in knowing more about both of these humidifier devices. Read further to know the pros and cons of both models. This will help you decide about which one you should buy and why….
Pros and Cons of Whole House Humidifier
Whole house humidifiers are generally the install-it-and-forget-it type of device, which once installed with the blower system of the furnace of your house, automatically takes the water from there and works for providing you the comfortable and desired humidity levels all though the house.
In this kind of humidifier, you can get two categories. One which comes with the sprayer that injects the water into the air and another comes in the form of a foam cylinder. It blows in the water tray while the air blowing through and around it.
- Whole house humidifiers are generally very economical as the recurring charges and maintenance charges are very low for them as compared to portable humidifiers.
- With the one-time setup of the humidity level at the very beginning, just starting it can do the trick for you. This will take care of the humidity levels and there is no need to adjust it again and again to maintain a set desired level of humidity in your home.
- It takes the water automatically from the water system of your house and thus you don’t need to remember to pour water regularly into the device for each usage (which is must in portable type of ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers).
- These kinds of devices are noiseless and the initial cost will not going to take a toll on your pocket as these are comparatively lower than the price of the portable humidifiers.
- Unlike the portable ones these devices are large thus, you need to arrange proper transportation for bringing it home.
- In comparison to the portable ones whole house humidifiers also demands expert skills and professionals for installation. There is no plug and play business in case of these devices.
- Whole house humidifier collects the water from the local supply along with the dissolved minerals which may get deposited in the form of minerals and salts. So before the end of the summer, you need to clean the humidifier with diluted white vinegar or else the hardened minerals can pose a problem in smooth functioning.
If your central humidification system runs with poor condition, then there are probably increased chances of various health problems. Central humidification system results in various microbiological exposures that can badly effect on your health through mechanisms that are toxic, allergic. It can cause various diseases including legionnaires disease, humidifier fever, thermophilic actinomycetes and accumulation of mold which can be hazardous to people.
So you should not ignore all these risk factors of central humidification system if you are planning to buy and install a whole house humidifier for your home.
Pros and Cons of Portable Humidifier
Portable humidifiers or ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers are the most preferred humidifiers for the residential use. The best part is that you can use them anywhere in the house. And if needed, you can easily take it to other room as well. In this category, you can have models starting from the tabletop humidifiers to large floor mounted humidifier units.
Also there are freestanding humidifier machines on wheels which can be used in your home for easy transportation from one room to another. The portable humidifiers have their own water supply (a fitted tank that need to be filled) and you can plug them in the normal plug points to make them run easily.
- Portable humidifiers are available in different sizes and capabilities. You can get small desktop devices to keep the humidity of a room in a proper way. On the other hand, you can have sturdy and powerful humidifier devices which can keep more than one room properly humid.
- Flexibility is the main advantage of this kind of portable humidifier device. You can take it anywhere in your home and even you can carry them on a tour as well.
- You can just buy, plug & play these devices. Thus, no extra cost is needed for installing it. Moreover no professional help is needed for installing it.
- These are very easy to operate and maintain. You can easily clean them at regular intervals for getting the best healthy environment.
- Some of the top quality Portable humidifiers come with an astounding price tag which is sometimes more than a whole house humidifier too.
- Unlike the whole house ones it makes noise during the operation thus if not maintained properly the noise can grow up and can keep you awake at night. So you have to entail a cost for regular maintenance of it.
- In the case of portable humidifiers not only you have to maintain them on a regular basis but also fill the water on a daily basis depending on the area it is covering.
- Some portable humidifiers come with a detachable tank, but for some humidifiers, you have to bring the water supply near to fill the tank up.
Conclusion: Which One Should You Choose?
Now when you are aware about the pros and cons of both of these devices you may feel it easy to choose one for your home. However as per our recommendation cool mist humidifier can be a better option for you than any other humidifier.
Cool mist humidifiers not only make you feel cool due to the fan blowing air without making any noise but it also saves your money on energy costs. And if you live in warm weather then cool mist humidifier is best suitable choice for you. You can also use a cool mist humidifier in dry winters to make your house more comfortable.
Below you can find some of the best selling models that can be checked at the time of buying. These comes with affordable price and top features that will help you live comfortable.