Sinusitis (also known as rhinosinusitis) is nothing but inflammation of the sinus lining which is mostly caused by either bacteria or viruses. The word sinusitis is made up of two words. One is Sinus which stands for the anatomical structure of the human body which are basically air filled cavities present behind the cheek bones as well as the forehead. The other word “It is” stands for inflammation. Thus the word sinusitis explains the inflammation of the sinus.
Normally the sinusitis will affect the person of any age group. Generally whenever the problem attacks a person it shows immediate signs of high body temperature, heaviness in the head (mainly the frontal region), pain in the face along with tenderness, blocked nose or running nose, etc.
Whats Included Here?
Brief on Sinuses:
Sinuses are usually present on the cheeks and the forehead region. There are 4 pair of sinuses present in the human body. They are,
- 1 pair of sinus present behind the forehead,
- 1 pair of sinus present at the either side of the bridge of nose,
- 1 pair of sinus present behind the eyes, and
- 1 pair of sinus present behind the cheekbones.
The sinuses naturally have openings and these openings have communication with the cavity of the nose and thus helps to control the body temperature and water content of the atmospheric air that is reaching the lungs.
Generally the mucus is produced in the mucus lining drains into the nose through the channels. When the sinus get infected with a virus or bacteria then it may cause blockage of these sinus channels which further leads to heaviness, swelling and pain in the sinus area because of solid mucus accumulation inside the sinus cavity. The largest as well as the most common infection acquiring sinus is the one which is present behind the cheekbones.
Types of Sinusitis:
There are two types of sinusitis problem seen which are classified according to its duration of presence in the human body.
Acute Sinusitis: This type of sinusitis develops in the human quickly within few days of the duration of the onset of common cold or flu and gets clear within few weeks.
Sub Acute Sinusitis: An inflammation that lasts from 30-60 days can be thought-out result of sub acute sinusitis. It leads to thick greenish or yellowish nasal discharge along with the loss of power to smell.
Chronic Sinusitis: When the sinusitis symptoms and signs are lasting for more than 12 weeks in duration, then it is termed as chronic sinusitis. Normally the chronic sinusitis is less common in nature but if occurs it will last for many months.
Recurrent Sinusitis: Numerous attacks of cold within a year are associated with the most severe form of sinusitis called recurrent sinusitis. It leads to dental pain and fatigue with bad breath. It is a very severe condition which demands a proper medication.
Major Causes of Sinusitis:
The most common causes for sinusitis or rhinosinusitis are:
- Common cold or flue (influenza). In case of common cold the virus or bacteria which cause the common cold spreads from the upper respiratory tract to the sinuses and causes inflammation over there.
- Sometimes an infected or decayed tooth also causes inflammation and infection of the sinuses.
- The substances which irritates the sinuses like pollen grains, smokes, chemical agents like pesticides, household dusts and disinfectants, etc. acts as the triggering factor for sinusitis.
- Certain diseases like bronchial asthma, hay fever, allergic rhinitis, etc. also acts as the primary reason for the occurrence of sinusitis.
- Anything which blocks or narrows the nasal passage like nasal polyps, facial palsy, bell’s palsy, facial injury, etc. in turn causes blockage of the sinus passage which results in formation of sinusitis.
Signs and Symptoms of Sinusitis:
Sinus is a problem which shows various signs such as pain and tenderness on the face mainly near the infected area. The pain will be throbbing in nature and it gets worse when you move your head for any activity. In some cases the pain also appear in the tooth and the jaws while biting any food stuffs.
Person suffering from the problem may also feel general weakness in the body. Other signs or symptoms of sinus include:
- Running nose which often gets blocked. There will be greenish or yellowish mucus production and discharge in the nostrils and the oral cavity because of the overwhelmed infection.
- The prolonged high temperature will be seen with general body tiredness.
- In most of the cases the headache will be seen mainly the frontal headache due to heaviness of the head because of the thick mucus accumulation in the sinus cavities.
- Recurrent cough along with sneezing reflex will be observed in some cases.
- Due to heavy infection of the lining in the sinus and nostrils the person will be having heavy smelling bad breath which is medically called as halitosis.
- Pressure in the eyes will be increased which causes on and off the flow of tears from the eyes.
- In case of chronic sinusitis the most common symptom will be the loss of smell than the facial pain.
- The person also feels loss of taste and smell because of the blockage of the nostrils and bad smelling heavy coating on the tongue.
Diagnosis of Sinusitis:
Most of the physicians diagnose sinusitis by mere observing the symptoms and signs of patient. In most of the cases the sinusitis use to occur because of viral infection. In case of any doubts the patient will be referred to an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat) specialist for further diagnosis of the problem.
The ENT specialist will carry out the necessary tests to determine the underlying problem and its cause. The major test prescribed usually will be X-ray and CT scan.
Most of the time the person suffering from sinusitis need not go to a physician. The problem gets resolved by itself by taking proper care and hygiene steps without any medication. However it takes a prolonged duration to get resolved by its own (from few weeks to even a month). So it is recommended to visit your doctor if the problem is severe. He may recommend you the best treatment options.
How to Manage and Treat The Sinus Problem Effectively and Naturally?
Nasal Infection is often not referred as a serious disease but requires a proper consultation with a physician as soon as it occurs. Depending on the inflammation type, there are various treatments to be referred accordingly:
In case of acute sinusitis one should use decongestants as the first and foremost option. It helps in overcoming congestion which is the major symptom of this acute disease. Numerous decongestants in the market are easily available to be applied on the area of infection. It also helps in relieving pain and cleaning the nasal cavity.
In case of sub acute and chronic sinusitis, a medical intervention is mandatory. When a decongestant appears to be of no use one should opt for antibiotics (if not being allergic to it). Since infection is the foremost cause of this form of sinusitis, antibiotic is intended to be the foremost and best medication for its treatment.
In the case of recurrent sinusitis, a surgical treatment is the left alternative. After a proper consultation with the doctor one should opt for surgery depending on the severity and cause of the inflammation.
Nasal discharge is an easy method to cure rhinosinusitis. The yellowish mucus formed during sinusitis is harmful for the body because it causes cough and various bronchial diseases. It should be discharged to avoid blockage.
Most of the physicians prescribe antibiotics, steroid nasal sprays or drops and in case of failure of medications the patient will be suggested to go for surgery for either removal of the sinuses or to reconstruct the sinuses.
Home Remedies that Can Help:
One should always try the home made remedies (as the first aid treatment) to kill nasal infection which is considered as an immense help in many cases.
The best home remedies to provide the best cure in case of sinusitis is facial steam inhalation added with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Doing nasal irrigation with warm or hot water, drinking ginger decoction, consuming pepper rich food stuffs, etc.may also help.
How Does Installing Humidifier Help?
Apart from the mentioned measures to maintain the environmental moisture installing a cool mist humidifier in the home or office will help the person further to prevent the sinus blockage and infection. Best humidifiers for sinusitis are now available online and can be purchased easily at stores such as Amazon.
So plan for a good branded humidifier this time when you are shopping online. Believe me, you can give your family a good gift by gifting them a good health for lifetime!
In case if you are looking for some regular nasal sprays and medications for treating sinusitis problem at home, you can check few below mentioned ones. These can help you or your family member to recover from the sinus problem fast and easy.