“How to clean the cool mist humidifier and what are its maintenance steps” is the major issue when one buy a humidifier device for the first time.
The major reason for this doubtful question, among most of the people is the fear about the bacterial and fungal growth that occurs normally in the room humidifiers and air coolers, when they continuously run for hours.
As keeping your ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers unclean for a longer duration can lead to bacterial growth and unwanted germs, you need to take proper steps for getting them cleaned regularly.
Maintenance of your humidifier unit can be done in three different ways. Each one of them are equally important and you can consider doing them on regular basis so that your appliance works efficiently all the time.
1- Daily maintenance and cleaning of your unit: This involves just replacing of water in the humidifier. Drain out all the remaining water in the sink after you have used the unit. Fill it with fresh filtered water to make it ready for next usage.
2- Weekly maintenance and cleaning of your unit: This involves certain specific things and steps that need to be followed at least once in a week for disinfecting all the parts of your humidifier machine. For detailed procedure of the cleaning steps please read the steps below.
3- End of Season maintenance and cleaning of your unit: This also involves the same procedure as you do weekly. Just make sure that you completely dry up all the parts and tank of humidifier before storing it for the next usage season.
What are The Important Things Needed for Maintenance?
Few major things that are needed for effective cleaning of the cool mist humidifiers are:
- Household bleaching liquid or powder,
- Vinegar preferably white,
- 1 spray bottle,
- 1 large size saucepan,
- 1 brush with soft and fine bristles,
- Water in enough quantity for cleaning, etc.
What Are The Steps and Procedure Involved?
Mix the water and white vinegar properly and keep the mixture in the spray bottle. This should be kept ready for instant cleaning purpose.
Steps to be followed for cleaning are:
- Unplug the electrical circuit and start removing the parts of humidifier for cleaning
- Try to make sure that the water tank is completely separated from the device, mainly from the filter and the base
- Remove the motor housing unit completely and place it aside
- Now open the lid and fill the water tank with enough water and add a few tablespoons of bleaching liquid or powder. Then place the lid on the tank and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Now take the large saucepan and fill it with 2 cups of white vinegar and water. After making this mixture let soak the humidifier filters in the pan containing water and vinegar combination. Leave it for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of white vinegar cleaning, pour 1 spoon full of bleach into the base of your humidifier machine for every gallon of water for disinfection purpose. This procedure should rest for 30 minutes.
- Gently clean the other parts of the device with the help of the instant mixture available in the spray bottle.
- Finally wipe the parts of your humidifier unit using a soft sponge scrub brush or a cloth. Fix the parts back into its proper position.
Your humidifier unit is now clean and free from all types of bacteria, viruses and germs. You can relax and start using it by refilling the tank with cool filtered water.
Hopefully these simple steps for cleaning your humidifier prove helpful to you. With these easy to follow steps you can now keep your humidifier unit safe, clean and hygienic for better health of your family without imposing any risks to them.
How to clean a humidifier?
How to Prevent Mold in you Humidifier?