It is a foregone conclusion that parents crave to see their toddlers in the pink of their health. But it is very distressing for these parents to find their baby with a stuffy nose while the winter starts. Cold and cough are perennial menace creators in this regard.
A baby stuffy nose at night time brings a lot of discomfort for the new born child, toddlers or little children because it’s very hard to eat in this condition.
Babies get agitated or perturbed owing to this breathing glitch that compliments a seriously stuffed nose.
An infant’s natural instinct is to breathe through the nose even if it’s blocked.
A clear nose is indispensable for feeding your child and a stuffy nose can jeopardize feeding, which leaves the baby irritated and the mother concerned or frustrated.
It is therefore a concern for most of the mothers about what to give baby for stuffy nose, cough and cold.
Before we come to the real home remedies for baby stuffy nose, let us first check more about the causes which is responsible for the problem.
Causes of Stuffy Baby Nose
There are multiple reasons behind your new born baby’s runny nose. The clear favorite in this regard is a run-on-the-mill, typical, ordinary flu/cold virus.
Babies or new born often catch cold once every month on an average basis, or about 12-14 times a year. The situation gets aggravated during winter. The malaise generally lasts a week or more. At times, they bump into one another.
One cold might seem to be sticking around perennially. In reality, they are back-to-back flu attacks. Allergies can also wreck havoc in baby blocked nose which can leave your baby with a stuffy nose. This usually comes with clear mucus rather than the yellowish or green stuff that comes with a cold.
A bacterial infection can also effectuate a stuffy or runny nose in babies. Besides allergic reaction, sinus infection and common colds, deformities in the nasal periphery can also be the reason behind a mucus clogged nose, which is a rarity.
How To Clear Baby Stuffy Nose Home Remedies
When you are searching online about what to give baby for stuffy nose, you need to remember that medicines for toddlers and babies are not a very viable idea. The medicines for stuffy nose and cold don’t compel the virus to flee any faster. Rather, it can cause potential harm.
You rather have simpler ways to make your baby feel a lot better. Home remedies for baby stuffy nose and cough are often recommended by Grand Ma and doctors and mothers love to try them out as they are risk free.
- If your baby has stuffy nose at night you can give them few saline drops in your child’s mucus clogged nose. This will loosen up some of the inhabiting mucus.
- If your baby has serious cough and stuffy nose, you can also suck out all excess snot with the help of a bulb syringe to clear the passageways.
- For treating baby stuffy at night you can try to slightly elevate your baby when he/she is sleeping. You can do this by putting a crib wedge under the cloth/mattress or by lifting/holding the infant while it snoozes.
- You should avoid pillows in the contextual crib since it entails sudden infantile death syndrome risks. This will help to clear and relieve baby stuffy nose at night.
- I personally use and recommend using Mom’s Choice Nasal Aspirator which works for my baby when he has stuffy nose at night. This is easy to use and provides instant relief to the kids. Believe me combatting your baby’s stuffy nose was never so easier.
- One of the best ways is to put a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier in the baby’s room. This adds moisture to the air, which helps the toddler to breathe easily and freely. No matter whether your baby is newborn or few weeks or few months old you can try installing one to get them relief.
Having tried the above simple home remedies for baby stuffy nose, if your baby gets stuffy nose at night still, feels miserable and cannot eat or drink, you should get alarmed!
Sometimes your baby can have stuffy nose but no cold or if the baby shows the signs of prospective dehydration or does not urinate in normal routine, you need to go to doctor immediately. If the baby becomes lethargic or doesn’t cry, you should rope in immediate medical intervention.
Does Installing Cool Mist Humidifier Really Prove Helpful?
Of-course using a good humidifier like an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier can be your savior. It helps to protect your little ones from experiencing those harsh symptoms of the cold, making it easy for them to cope up with the breathing problems.
Running a cool mist humidifier in your kid’s room also help your baby to get a much needed rest and sound sleep. These cold air humidifiers for babies are much more comfortable to use and you should have one for your baby if you actually want to give your baby the best they deserve.
All you have to do is try the above basic home remedies and install a good humidifier to keep the baby-cold at bay.
Cool mist humidifiers for baby cold are widely available online as well as at pharmacy stores. These units are affordable, and equipped with a variety of features.
The good news is, you can choose the best from the available brands online and get it installed right away in your kid’s room. So why not get one for them now and help them sleep relaxed.